All,
I have a couple of thoughts on us all getting together, mostly based on separate conversations with you.
First, as much as possible I would like everyone to feel as if they are on vacation and enjoy themselves when we get together. You guys down in the L.A. area shouldn't have to feel like you must entertain/host the rest of us every time just because you represent a higher concentration of family. If it is the best way for you to participate, then I am all for that, but not as a default expectation. I would much rather meet somewhere else where we can all enjoy a little diversion from the day-to-day world we normally live.
Second, I think that it might be helpful to create at least on repeating "get together "so that people could plan/budget for it. Annually, bi-annually, anything is fine with me. Most if not all of us have limited financial capacity and a pre-planned vacation would probably help to get the greatest turn-out. I am not suggesting it should be the same activity or location. I just think we could plan something relatively consistent and possibly rotate the coordination responsibility.
Third, I think we should focus on getting this off the ground with the original six grandkids. I setup this blog as the letter "O" and number six to represent us. I would hope that we find value and happiness and extend this out to the rest of the family, but if we have to accommodate schedules and finances I would like focus on the O6 first. Once we have re-connected, then we can move forward however we feel. This does not mean others are not welcome to the first event(s), that is not my decision to make nor is it my recommendation.
Lastly, you will notice that this site is not labeled for or by anyone (me specifically) as this should be our site not any one persons. Feel free to take community ownership and point out in-appropriate behavior as you see fit. Also remember this is a public blog and can be viewed by anyone. If we love this idea we can discuss making a private site where we don't have to watch what we say so much.
-Kevin
P.S. These are my first two posts to any blog ever, so don't assume I know what the heck I am doing. Anyone with more experience is welcome to give hints and pointers.
P.P.S. Kristi thought these two posts sounded dry. I promise to be less dry, but I didn't know how else to kick this off. :-) does that help?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi Kevin,
I am all for getting together again. It was wonderful reconnecting at Grandma's memorial service. I have several blogs but this blogger one is brand-new so it took me until today to realize that my new friend Kevin is my cousin!
I think Brian and I are planning a trip up to Washington in the next few months. I will keep you posted. We'd love to stop by and see you guys. As far as meeting somewhere nice where we can all vacation as well as catch up, that sounds good, too. I don't have any kids so, even though I'm busy with work and grad school, I may have a more flexible schedule than some of you. If you want to throw out any suggestions that would be most welcome.
This is my first comment on a family blog, so I think it sounds kind of rambling but, well, ramble ramble ramble. Talk to you soon. Sarah Torribio : )
Post a Comment